This course offers an introduction to the study of mental health. It is designed to address the etiology, diagnosis and treatment of individuals with maladaptive behaviors and psychological disorders. Emphasis is placed on mental health awareness, diagnoses, who can diagnose, licenses, certification for those diagnosing, the proper assessment and how mental health can affect an individual. Symptoms and behavior that lead to diagnosis according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association, fifth edition (DSM 5) are used.
Mental Health Module Objectives
1. Participants will learn about mental health and awareness of mental health through reading and taking a quiz after chapter and final quiz.
2. Participants will learn examples of mental health diagnoses
3. Who can diagnose and what certifications and licenses are required
3. Symptoms of Depression and Anxiety
4. How substance use is connected to mental health
5. Mental Health in the workplace
6. Resources in the community